Install Amibroker in Ubuntu¶
How to install Amibroker and Amiquote in Ubuntu 22.04?
February 18, 2022 ·
I have a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot configuration with my Lenovo X1 notbook. The reason to keep Windows is mainly due to Microsoft Excel and Powerpoint that I can't find a good alternative in Linux platform. LibreOffice is fine but I still like Excel and Powerpoint. Another reason is Amibroker comes with Windows version only. Tomasz Janeczko, the founder and chief software architect of amibroker.com, has done a great job and I won't request a Linux version.
After some efforts, I manage to get Amirboker to work in Ubuntu 22.04 with some limitations. If you want to try it, spend a few minutes to read the following sections. It may save your time or change your mind.
My OS and software used¶
- Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish (development branch).
- Amibroker 6.40.4 32bits
- Amiquote 4.10 32bits
- Wine 7.0
- Winetricks 20210206
Why 32 bits? Some posts mentioned 64 bits not works. But from the post below, someone said 64 bits works as well.
References are made to the following posts:
Install Wine and winetricks¶
Follow the following posts to install Wine:
How to Install Wine 7.0 in Ubuntu Desktop to install Wine 7.0 in my system.
If you open winecfg, you may find it very small if you are in 4k screen resolution. Adjust the screen resolution in Graphics tab of winecfg. In my case I adjusted to 192 dpi.
To install Winetricks,
To check Wine and Winetricks version:
Download Amibroker from official website. Right click the .exe file and select
Open with Wine Windows Program Loader. Follow the normal installation as in Windows.
An Amibroker icon will be created in desktop. If you double-click it now, the program would not be executed properly. Extra components need to be installed.
Install extra components with Winetricks¶
Open Winetricks, with
Select the default wineprefix selected, press OK
Install a font and click OK. It brings you to another page. Select
corefonts and click OK. Winetricks will install fonts and prompt you some warnings. Press OK to proceed.
Next step is to install some components. Select
Install a Windows DLL or component and press OK.
Choose the following items to install:
After installation of the components with Winetricks, you can try to open Amibroker and it should work now.
You can register the app by running ABReg.exe with Wine
Install Amiquote is the same as Amibroker with Wine.
- Automatic-import not working: It means you need to manually import downloaded data into Amibroker. If you use daily data, it may be acceptable to you. If realtime data is required, no luck at this moment.
The issue has been reported to Wine since 2009 (Bug tracker).
- Installed program is located at ~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/AmiBroker/
- No icon generated by Wine for Amiquote.
- Rememeber to right-click the Amibroker icon on desktop and set
- From the quoted posts, the problem is due to OLE support issue by Wine. I try to install ole32 and oleut32 with Winetricks. It makes Amibrokers unresponse and I have to do the installation process again. Before doing this, you should remove the wineprefix with Winetricks.
- Drag-and-drop indicators to chart area is not working. You can right-click the selected indicator and choose
Overlayto add it to chart area.